It's not all about dinner at the table...

...sometimes it's about being with your family living in the moment.

For the last couple of weeks my youngest boy and I have settled into a routine of having our morning coffee and sourdough toast for breakfast.  We sit together in my dad's faded old blue chair and stare out the window. 

Now and again he will quietly attempt to sip from my coffee cup while I pretend not to notice.  He mutters praise over his toast, the sweet cream butter that he loves so much, licking it with much gusto and appreciation. 

It is in one of these moments that I realize that God has given me such a magnificent gift of this precious boy.  I often think back to the phone call that changed our home life from a family of three to a family of four.  His life had begun three months early and from the moment of that life changing phone call my world has never been the same. 

This precious time I have with him is my time to mold him into who God wants him to be.  I am here to raise up my children to be warriors for God.  My time needs to be less centered about just living and more centererd on living for God so that my children grow in the way of the Lord.

Our morning routine is a relatively new one.  Truthfully our mornings would consist of waking up, having a bottle/coffee while starting our day.  Be it cleaning the house, running early morning errands, or dare I say this out loud, putting on a tv show to amuse him while I do "what I want" ie talk on the phone, play on the computer, anything BUT have some much needed solitude with God and my little boy.

My husband and I stopped paying the cable bill.

Oh mind you we paid it up in full, we just cancelled the TV.  We don't even have an antena on the house!  We get NO channels whatsoever!  The first week I was pacing the halls and climbing the walls.  I can't do this.  I don't WANT to do this.  I hate this quiet. 

But my kids are relishing this.  They love this quiet!  They don't ask to watch TV.  It was me, I was the one suggesting a show!  Your bored?  Watch TV!  Your tired?  Here watch TV!  I am a total couch potatoe and I've surely turned my children into one as well.  But like I said, my kids are loving this. 

And now I am to.

I wake up early in the morning and put on my first batch of coffee.  Oh I drink it all day and if I could find a way to hook an IV drip to me without it hindering my progress of my day I would.  I get on the computer and check my emails.  I prepare myself to focus solely on my children's needs.  Waking up my oldest son and getting him ready for school.  Next my husband, getting him ready for work and finally it's baby and me time.

A fresh batch of coffee, the toast is ready and buttered to perfection and now it's just me, my little boy, hot coffee and sourdough toast and a heaping portion of God's Graces.

Thank you Jesus for this moment with my little boy.  I promised you if he lived then he would live for you.  This two pound baby is right on track for a life of loving You. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Brie, this is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! Such a sweet reflection on your tender mommy heart...and the little one is on his way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mindy and LS! It was a joy to write actually ~ made me think about what I'm doing with my kiddos :)

    ReplyDelete